HANS HELGESEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
CODE OF CONDUCT
The Code of Conduct is established for the benefit of everyone at Hans Helgesen Elementary School. Our goal is to assist students in developing self-discipline and a sense of social responsibility. Students must recognize that any behaviour which interferes with the safety and learning of others is unacceptable.
Hans Helgesen Elementary School believes that all students have the right to learn in a safe and respectful environment. The responsibility for teaching appropriate acceptable behaviour is shared between the home and school. Only by working together can we promote positive and responsible student conduct.
A SAFE AND CARING COMMUNITY
Hans Helgesen Elementary School is a safe and caring school. As members of this school community we have a responsibility to act in ways that are free of:
- Bullying, harassment, threat and intimidation;
- Physical violence and/or violence of any form;
- Verbal, physical or sexual abuse;
- Discrimination, especially based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age (BC Human Rights Code);
- Theft and vandalism.
Our safe and caring school environment does not tolerate the presence of:
- Intoxicating substances;
- Weapons and explosives, regardless of whether real or replica;
- Intruders or trespassers;
- Tobacco and/or smoking (including e-cigarettes).
STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT
Every student at Hans Helgesen Elementary School has RIGHTS. With those rights come RESPONSIBILITIES.
I have the Right to learn.
- It is my Responsibility to listen to instructions, to work quietly, and to raise my hand if I have a question or concern.
I have the Right to be safe.
- It is my Responsibility not to engage in rough play, to threaten, bully or physically harm anyone else.
I have the Right to hear and be heard.
- It is my Responsibility not to interrupt others or make unnecessary noise.
I have the Right to be respected.
- It is my Responsibility not to tease, bother or upset other people or hurt their feelings.
I have the Right to privacy and to my own personal space.
- It is my Responsibility to respect the personal property of others, and to accept their right to privacy.
I have the Right to a clean, healthy environment.
- It is my Responsibility to dispose of garbage and keep my work and play area clean.