Allergies In the School Environment
The number of life-threatening allergies, especially to varied nut products (particularly peanuts) is increasing. In our classrooms we seek to provide a safe, healthy environment for all the children, including those with severe allergies. In order to do this, we are asking for your support.
We have children in the school with life-threatening allergies to foods such as nuts and one child with a life-threatening allergy to sesame. We also have children and staff who may be sensitive to strong odours from perfumes or aftershave. Since no school can guarantee a peanut-free, fragrance-free, or allergy-free environment, we hope to develop “allergy aware”/peanut safe classrooms.
How can you help?
- Talk to your child about not sharing snacks and eating utensils
- Emphasize the need for extra care in hand washing before coming to school, and after eating at recess or lunchtime
- Consider not sending the many peanut and peanut butter products to school with your child, whenever possible
- Consider not sending products that may contain sesame and sesame oil to school with your child, whenever possible
- Be aware of the severity of the issue
We want all children to have a rewarding, meaningful and safe school experience, and do not want to isolate or stigmatize any child with allergies. A child with a severe, anaphylactic (life-threatening) allergy can still have fun and be careful at the same time.
If you have further questions about allergies, emergency treatment or coping with a life-threatening allergy, a good resource can be found by calling the Capital Health Region Asthma, Allergy, Eczema Program at (250) 478-1757.
Thank you for your support!